a real world point of view
|Main setting:||Vega VI, the late 42nd century|
|Key crew __NOFACTBOX__|
|Part of:||Short Trips: Dalek Empire|
|Short Trips short stories|
|Mutually Assured Survival|
- You may be looking for the comic story Museum Piece.
The Doctor arrives in a Velyshaan museum dedicated to the Dalek War. He meets Kalendorf there, an old soldier. They reminisce about the war. The Doctor needed to meet Kalendorf so he could help him make a decision that would destroy the Daleks, albeit at the cost of everything the Doctor holds dear, namely Gallifrey and Time Lords.
A nearby Dalek in a display cabinet is not as dead as it seems and has charged enough power for one shot of its energy weapon. It sees the Doctor and Kalendorf and has to make the decision of which to kill. The Dalek chooses and fires. A nearby school child runs in front of the Doctor and Kalendorf and takes the shot. Kalendorf responds by destroying the Dalek. He turns around to see that the child is dead and the Doctor is nowhere to be seen. Kalendorf concludes that the Doctor had made his decision.
- Reference is made to the Last Great Time War which destroyed Gallifrey and the Time Lords apart from the Doctor and the Master.
- The Doctor mentions the planet Tsan in regard to the Time War.
- The Court of Cenotaphs is a building on Vega VI.
- The Doctor says that he is not looking for companions at the moment.
- The Doctor knows that he is going to regenerate into his ninth incarnation soon, but says that he has something to do first.
- This story was subsequently released as a free audiobook download by Big Finish Productions for subscribers only, read by Nicholas Briggs.
- This story was picked by Nicholas Briggs to be reprinted in Short Trips: Re:Collections.
- The Doctor talks about the last time that he met Kalendorf on Zaleria during his seventh incarnation. Kalendorf does not recognise the Doctor as he has regenerated in the interim. (AUDIO: Return of the Daleks)
- The Doctor recalls his first meeting with the Daleks on their homeworld of Skaro. (TV: The Daleks)
- Kalendorf thinks the Doctor is a fool for not averting the creation of the Daleks when he had the chance. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)
- The decision that the Doctor is making seems to be the decision that will destroy his homeworld, his species and the Daleks at the conclusion of the Last Great Time War. (TV: Dalek)
- Kalendorf mentions that the Knights of Velyshaa are trying to develop time travel. (AUDIO: The Sirens of Time)
- The Doctor previously knew that he was going to regenerate in PROSE: The End.